Monday, January 3, 2011

Where My Heart Is, Will It Be My Destiny, Too?

Fate: "the will or principle or determining cause by which things in general are believed to come to be as they are or events to happen as they do."

A month ago, I rented the romantic comedy, "Serendipity," which stars John Cusack and Kate Beckinsdale as two individuals who reunite years after the night they first met, fell inlove and separated, convinced that they would one day end up together. It was my second time watching the movie, but since it had been years since I last saw it, I didn't mind watching it again. The movie was cute, but what blew my mind was how much the plot resembled my own life. It was very surreal. I felt the chemistry between Jonathan (Cusack) and Sara (Beckinsdale) and the pain of not knowing if you'd see each other again after your first meeting. More than anything, I related to how both characters had the feeling that they were going to end up together; it was depicted through "signs." Among them, Sara walking down the street and seeing a poster for a performance of Jonathan's favorite band and Jonathan getting into a cab and hearing the name Sara. Jonathan and Sara were in relationships in the movie, but it was obvious that their hearts, no matter where they were in their lives, were with each other. In one scene where Jonathan goes to see Sara in San Francisco days before his wedding and is outside her home, he asks his best friend, "what am I doing here?" The best friend answers: "Maybe you're here because you don't want to be standing somewhere else." I won't spoil the ending for those who haven't seen "Serendipity," but after watching it, I was convinced that the movie was a sign that what I"ve known in my heart for all these years is going to happen. To this day, there isn't a time when I'm not reminded of the one that got away. Sometimes I wonder if someone up there is playing a cruel joke on me. The more I try to forget this person and let him go, something always pulls me back. No matter where my own journey in life takes me, I know he'll be there at the end--even if it's not in this lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment