Monday, February 14, 2011

My "Aha" Moment"

Happy Single Awareness Day! Okay, it's really Valentine's Day, but since I'm single, my Valentine is myself:) Honestly, I think Valentine's Day, or Love Day as I call it, is overrated. I don't mean to be a grinch about it, but I'm not one of those girls who likes roses or chocolates on this day. It's to0 predictable and b-o-r-i-n-g-! If I had my choice of "gifts" for Valentine's Day, it would be a book or CD. For me it's more sentimental and meaningful. Atleast, a book or CD won't wilt or melt like the "traditional" presents above. I'm a word nerd and music lover, so for my future valentine, this is a hint for you (hehehe).

Valentine's Day, in my opinion, isn't just about demonstrating love for your significant other, but rather, appreciating who they are and what they are in your lives. For many of you, that special someone is, as the song, "Beautiful" goes, "your once in a lifetime, a treasure near impossible to find." You may see the future when you look in their eyes and dreams that are yet to be. However, please don't forget that apart from that person, you shouldn't forget the dreams you have for yourself. Love is a wonderful thing and often times we get so caught up in it that we become blind or oblivious to everything around us. Some of us have the tendency to put all our hopes and dreams on that one person and when the relationship goes south, it can be difficult to bounce back from it. The best gift you can give yourself is to find a passion outside of your couple-dom and nurture it. I, too, placed my hopes and dreams on one individual once upon-a-time. However, it wasn't meant to be and as a result, I wasn't just crushed, I felt lost and didn't know what to do. The sadness also affected my previous work environment and because of it, depression set in. I was in a funk for some time and I"m grateful I got over it. I turned over a new leaf and became a massage therapist and health educator. Going through the process was enlightening and empowering because I found myself again. I met people from all walks of life and each of them taught me lessons that I will remember for the rest of my life. In each of them I saw what I can become and in the end, I found a community where I belong. My life has been enriched and improved because all of them were in my life, albeit short as it was. They were my light at the end of what seemed to be a dark and unending tunnel. I've found joy in what I do and hope to only flourish. I know what it feels like to be in the present now and why it's called a "gift." I've also found a sense of peace and newly-found appreciation for being able to dream and hope, thanks to the "angels" who have come into my life. Oprah always talks about her "Aha!" moment and this is mine. I"m going to conclude this blog from a passage from Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist: "Wherever your heart is, you'll find your treasure." I've found mine and I hope each of you finds yours. Happy Heart Month!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment